I've had a couple people ask me how I became a Red Sox fan. It's pretty simple really. Back in 1974 I was watching a baseball game being played in Boston and when I saw the green monster and all the sights and surroundings of Fenway Park it was love at first sight. I don't think I really knew much about who they were or where they were from at the time. The next year the Red Sox played in the World Series against the Reds. I got to see the Red Sox on TV quite a few times thanks to their playoff run. Back then there was no ESPN or baseball ticket or the internet for that matter.
Several years later my brother served a church mission to Boston. He knew I was a Sox fan so he started sending me hats, batting helmets, t-shirts etc. That sealed the deal. My first trip to Fenway was back in 1991. My Dad took my brother Brett and I out there. Since then I've been too many times to count. I've been to Fenway at least once a year for the last 6-7 years. I've been to Opening Day 4 times since 2001. I even chose a project at work simply because it was located close to Boston (Hartford, CT). I try to hit the West Coast each year when the Sox come out to play the Angels or A's as well. For the record if you ever wanting to see them up close the Red Sox stay at the Anaheim Marriot when they're playing the Angels!
My family has all converted to Red Sox Nation over the last 15 years. The last few playoff appearances have been great to get decked out in our Red Sox gear (even the kids) and go crazy for the Sox. This last year we had 4 of the 5 brothers there opening day. We even had a niece born opening day so we knew it was destiny this year.
That is the short and sweet (although Laurie would call it the long and boring) version.
We have a little saying among my Red Sox buddies that is a motto our church also uses- "Every member a missionary". When I think about all of the people that have converted to Red Sox Nation here in Utah I say to myself....WELL DONE!
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Congrats on the win, Eric! Steve was glad when they won, but all he could say was, "I am sure Eric is happy!" Every time he sees one of "your teams" play, he comments on what you are probably thinking at the time. I love that everyone knows who Eric's teams are!
Blah, blah...Go Yankees...next year! P.S. I'm one of Laurie's friends in case you're completely baffled as to why some random girl is talking trash about your Sox.
I feel the love!!!! I converted my husband, too, though it wasn't hard seeing that Indiana hasn't a team! He goes more than I, which is far too often!
Can't wait to see what'll happen next -- we HAVE to keep Lowell, would like to see them keep Schilling but understand, and will die if they sign A-Rod! It's okay to sacrifice Coco. It's all business, that I get, and I love this team! Yeah, and the PATRIOTS, too! Go Brady!!!
Oh, please don't tell me you're a Pats fan too! Cheaters. I hope the Colts completely thrash them this week.
Well, you definitely converted me!!!! And in turn, anyone else who watches baseball with me!!
As a convert to the Red Sox in 1991, I experienced many trials of my faith. It is nice to see our faith has been rewarded with two World Series wins. I wouldn't mind three. By the way, this is so much better than Laurie's blog. It's so much easier to navigate without all those pictures of your kids on here.
Tierney- How can you like the Yankees when you've got a solid guy like Darren showing you the way? The Yankees are dark, evil and everything that is wrong in this world. And like my daughter says "they wear diapers and have accidents in them".
Unfortunately I am not a Pats fan. I'm a Vikings fan. This franchise has seen better days...not many but a few.
Thanks a lot Mike! I thought we were friends. I want to see pictures of your little one. I'm sorry I missed you guys the other night. I still have a present for baby girl. (probably won't fit her now, but oh well)
Being a 4th generation Yankees fan, I can't say that I agree with all of your "beliefs". Although I must say, I admire your passion and enthusiasm.
Jeter for President!!!
Wade,
I thought I felt a dark presence in the force...You need therapy to pull you out of this spell you’re under. Your family has suffered generations of this darkness. You need to be the one to correct the mistake your fore fathers made.
The first step is to admit you have a problem. Leaving the Yankees will bring you more happiness than you can imagine.
Post a Comment